Eleven kids found in a squalid camp in the United States

HakuNoburu | August 5, 2018 | 0 | Breaking News

Eleven children between the ages of one and 15 were rescued from a dilapidated den held by men of “extremist” ideology in the American state of New Mexico.

The discovery is fortuitous but icy. In search of a missing little boy, the New Mexico police force has come across a makeshift camp. Inside: 11 children, aged between one and 15 years, without clothes or shoes. They lived in this desert area with two men and three women and were deprived of water and electricity. They were turned over to child welfare.

Two men were arrested after police intervention helped locate them and the children in “the worst living conditions and poverty I have ever seen,” an officer said.

The operation was carried out in connection with the investigation into the abduction of a three-year-old child who has been missing for several months, said the Taos County Sheriff’s Office in New Mexico.

More than a year of research

The search began last year in Jonesboro, Georgia, when siraj Wahhaj, 39, was accused of abducting his child – who was never found.

On August 2, Sheriff Jerry Hogrefe issued a search warrant describing “a makeshift compound surrounded by tires and a dirt wall” in the rural municipality of Amalia, where Wahhaj and another man, Lucas Morten, were suspected of hiding.

The FBI, although providing information and surveillance data on the ground, “didn’t think there were enough good grounds to enter the property,” said Hogrefe.

“It all changed for me when a message was passed on to us by an inspector from Georgia, who we thought was coming from that place – the message sent by a third party, just said in part ‘we’re hungry and we need food and water,'” the sheriff continued.

Convinced that “action was needed”, the sheriff then claimed to have planned, out of security,” a tactical approach”, because the occupants were suspected of being” Muslim extremists “in possession of”heavy weapons”.

A “heartbreaking show””

On the morning of 3 August, a dozen officers launched the operation, discovering in the slum described as “a narrow caravan, buried in the ground, covered in plastic, without water, pipes or electricity”, as well as two men armed with an AR-15 assault rifle, five loaders armed with 30 bullets, and four guns loaded.

Since the two men refused to obey the verbal orders, the police launched the raid, which ended without any serious incident or casualties.

The five adults and 11 children “who looked like refugees from the Third World” were found “without food or fresh water” and “without shoes, without personal hygiene and dressed mainly in dirty rags”, described the police, adding that the show was “heartbreaking”.

Morten is being prosecuted for harboring a fugitive, and Wahhaj has been arrested for child abduction.

Three women, suspected of being the mothers of the children-who were placed in preventive custody-were also arrested for questioning.

Related Posts